Voluntary Products Overview
Voluntary Product Offerings - 100% Employee Paid
Voluntary products are additional coverage options (for things like extra life insurance or renters' insurance) that employees can choose to enroll in. They are 100 percent employee-paid and are administered by the vendor offering the product.
Voluntary Life Insurance – Offered by The Standard Insurance
If you are enrolled in a PEBP-sponsored medical plan, you are insured for Basic Life Insurance. You may also apply for Voluntary Life coverage to supplement the Basic Life amount. Employees may apply for any multiple of $10,000 up to a maximum of $500,000. Evidence of insurability may be required depending on the amount you apply for and when you apply.
For answers to commonly asked questions, exclusions, limitations, and reductions, please review the Voluntary Life and AD&D Insurance Booklet for Active Employees and Certification of Insurance.
Use the links below to guide you in calculating the amount of voluntary life insurance coverage you may need.
For more information, contact The Standard toll free at 888-288-1270.
Voluntary Short Term Disability – Offered by The Standard Insurance
Employees enrolled in a PEBP-sponsored medical plan have the opportunity to purchase Voluntary Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance. STD is designed to pay you a benefit in the event you cannot work because of a covered illness, injury, or pregnancy. This benefit replaces a portion of your income, thus helping you meet your financial commitments in times of need.
The plan provides three options with various benefit waiting periods: Option A: 7 days, Option B: 14 days, Option C: 30 days. The weekly STD benefit is 60% of the first $2,500 of your weekly earnings, reduced by deductible income. The maximum STD benefit is $1,500 per week. For more information, contact The Standard toll free at 888-288-1270.
Flexible Spending Accounts – Offered by HealthSCOPE Benefits
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) provide a way to pay out-of-pocket (un-reimbursed) health care expenses (Medical FSA) and dependent care expenses (Dependent Care FSA) on a before-tax basis.
Health Care (medical) FSAs, sometimes referred to as a medical FSA or general purpose FSA, is a savings option for active employees covered under a PEBP-sponsored medical plan.
Health Care FSA (when you do NOT have an HSA)
You may include all qualifying medical, dental, and vision expenses not covered or not reimbursed by insurance which are incurred by the taxpayer or eligible dependents during the plan year for medical care.
Limited Purpose/Scope FSA (when you DO have an HSA)
A Limited Purpose/Scope Flexible Spending Account is a savings option for active employees covered under a PEBP-sponsored medical plan. A Limited Purpose/Scope health FSA is limited to reimbursements for only eligible FSA dental and vision expenses.
Dependent Care FSA
A dependent care FSA is a great way to pay dependent care expenses and lower your taxable income. Here's how it works:
- You direct part of your before-tax pay into a special account to help pay work-related dependent care costs
- You can use your account throughout the year to help pay for eligible expenses
- Your expense must be for the purpose of allowing you and, if married, your spouse to be employed
A dependent care FSA helps reimburse you for the work-related cost of care for a qualifying dependent. A qualifying dependent is:
- A tax dependent of yours who is under age 13, or
- Any other tax dependent of yours, such as an elderly parent, who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care and has the same principle residence as you
- A spouse who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care and has the same principle residence as you
For more information, contact HealthSCOPE Benefits at 888-763-8232.
Long-Term Care Insurance - Offered by UNUM
Long-Term Care Insurance is designed to cover long-term services and supports, including personal and custodial care in a variety of settings such as your home, a community organization, or other facility. For more information, NSHE employees can contact Nikki Pecorino at 775-813-5309, and employees working for a state agency can contact Karla DeCrescenzo at 775-722-5907.
Auto, Home, RV and Renters’ Insurance – Offered by Liberty Mutual Insurance
Retirees have the option of purchasing automobile, homeowners, renters, condo, boat, and RV insurance at special group discounts. Liberty Mutual also offers convenient payment options such as automatic deductions from checking and savings accounts. For more information, contact Liberty Mutual at 800-637-7026.
Voluntary Product Offerings
Voluntary Life Insurance – Offered by The Standard Insurance
Retirees who are insured for Basic Life Insurance may apply for Voluntary Life coverage to supplement the Basic Life amount. Retirees may apply for any multiple of $5,000, up to a maximum of $50,000. Evidence of insurability may be required, depending on when the retiree applies. If you have questions, contact The Standard toll free at 888-288-1270.
Auto, Home, RV, and Renters’ Insurance – Offered by Liberty Mutual Insurance
Retirees have the option of purchasing automobile, homeowners, renters, condo, boat, and RV insurance at special group discounts. Liberty Mutual also offers convenient payment options, such as automatic deductions from checking and savings accounts. For more information, contact Liberty Mutual at 800-637-7026.
PEBP Voluntary Dental Plan
Retirees enrolled in a medical plan through OneExchange have the option to purchase PEBP’s Dental Plan. View Voluntary Dental Plan Rates. The following provides a summary of PEBP's PPO Dental Plan. For more detailed information, please view the PPO Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Plan Document.
- $1,500 benefit maximum per plan year for Basic and Major services per covered individual
- $100 Individual Deductible/$300 Family Deductible (3 or more family members)
- Preventive benefits - 4 teeth cleanings, bitewing x-rays, and fluoride/dental sealants (children under age 18) paid 100% when using PPO dental network providers (not subject to deductible or annual benefit maximum)
- Basic services such as fillings and root canals are paid at 80% after deductible
- Major services such as crowns, bridges, and dentures paid at 50% after deductible
- Provider network for State of Nevada participants: Diversified Dental Services, Inc.
- Provider network for all other states: Principal Dental Provider Network